I’ll be honest with you: this recipe came about from a simple coincidence. On a Kroger Clicklist order a couple weeks ago, they had a crazy-good deal going on shrimp (buy a bag, get a bag free!). You’ve probably already noticed by the look of my blog recipes that I love seafood, so I decided to get an extra bag and try something new!
Turns out, I made a good choice. This shrimp po’ boy meal is super quick, super easy, and super tasty! (You’re welcome.)
As a prep note, this recipe will make enough for two hearty sandwiches, so plan accordingly if you need more or less.
Utensils/appliances you’ll need:
- A small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- A medium-sized skillet
The Remoulade Sauce
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup Chosen Foods coconut mayonnaise (We use this kind because many other mayonnaise brands have high-FODMAP ingredients; if you use another brand, be on the lookout in the ingredient labels!)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/3 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (Even though Worcestershire sauce does contain some high-FODMAP ingredients, Monash University ranks it as low-FODMAP in up to two-tablespoon quantities – a very unique situation in the land of FODMAPs. That’s because of the fermentation process Worcestershire sauce goes through to become what it is. If you want more details, you can check them out here!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in the small mixing bowl. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
The Shrimp and Toasted Bread
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Four slices of Udi’s Sandwich Bread or two gluten-free hoagie buns (We use Schar Gluten-Free Hoagie Rolls from our local Walmart Neighborhood Market.)
- 1 package of peeled and deveined shrimp (Depending on the type, you may need to remove the tails.)
- 1/2 teaspoon Fody Taco Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- Sprinkle the shrimp with Fody Taco Seasoning lightly on each side (we used 1/4 teaspoon on each side). Heat the garlic oil over medium heat in your skillet, and once shimmering, add the seasoned shrimp for 3-4 minutes on each side (until pink and opaque).
- While your shrimp is cooking, lightly toast your sandwich bread, either by low-broiling in the oven or by using a toaster.
Once the bread is toasted and the shrimp is cooked, spread the remoulade sauce onto the bread and add the shrimp plus any additional toppings you wish (lettuce, tomato, etc.); drizzle any remaining remoulade sauce over the top of the shrimp after it is placed on the bun. Serve with a side of Mary’s Gone Crackers Gluten-Free Sea Salt crackers, Snyder’s gluten-free pretzels, or a low-FODMAP side salad.
A fresh and easy meal in less than ten minutes, friends! Enjoy!