My first job ever was waiting tables at Hart’s Seafood restaurant, a locally owned catfish and seafood joint that just about everyone in Arkansas loved (and if they didn’t, you couldn’t trust them, anyway).
That meant my love affair with good catfish started at an early age.
Because of that, I made it my mission a few weeks ago to figure out a low-FODMAP version of southern fried catfish…and, y’all, I did it (although it technically isn’t fried)! This catfish meal is now one of our dinnertime pleasures, including a side of baked french fries. Before you begin, know that this recipe is plenty for two people – so plan accordingly if you need more or less. Also, keep in mind that cornmeal has FODMAP limits. Don’t get too crazy with it!
Utensils/appliances you’ll need:
- Paper towels
- Two small mixing bowls
- Two medium-sized baking sheets (nonstick or sprayed with Pam cooking spray)
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
The Catfish and Fries
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 six-ounce catfish fillets, cut into smaller strips
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Cornmeal
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Half a package of Ore Ida Golden Fries
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the cornmeal, paprika, salt, and ground pepper in one mixing bowl, and beat the two eggs and Dijon mustard in the other. Spray the baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.
- Pat the catfish dry with paper towels. Dip each strip into the beaten egg, and then coat in the cornmeal mixture.
- Place each strip in the baking dish. After all fish is on the baking sheet, place your fries on the other baking sheet. Put the fish and the fries in the oven for 20-22 minutes, flipping the fish at 10. You’ll know when the fish is done because it should flake easily, and the fries should be golden brown.
Put a little Fody Food Co. Ketchup on the side, and you are ready to go, my friends. Just make sure you’re right with the Lord before eating, because you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven once this easy meal hits your mouth!