I was first introduced to chicken cordon bleu in school, when it was served about twice per year in our cafeteria. The first time I tried it, I had no clue what it was – but I found out quickly that it sure is good.
I hadn’t thought about that dish much after I graduated high school, but for some reason, I remembered it a few days ago and decided to try a low-FODMAP version. As you know, IBSTakesGuts revolves around meals that are easy to prepare, so my version is deconstructed for quick, easy prep. Don’t let the simple nature of this dish worry you, though – the taste is phenomenal!
This recipe will make enough for 2-3 people, so plan accordingly if you need more or less. Also, the Swiss cheese has daily FODMAP limits so keep that in mind as you eat.
Utensils/appliances you’ll need:
- A medium-sized nonstick baking dish (or baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray)
- Aluminum foil
- A small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 pound shredded Boar’s Head Smokemaster Black Forest Ham
- Sliced Swiss cheese (one-two slices per breast)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (We like the Kroger Traditional gluten-free bread crumbs, but feel free to use what you like as long as they don’t have high-FODMAP ingredients or additives.)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- While the oven is preheating, place your chicken breasts in the nonstick baking dish. Then add a layer of shredded ham (amount based on personal preference) followed by a slice or two of Swiss cheese (depending on breast size) on top of each chicken breast.
- In the small mixing bowl, melt your butter (if you haven’t already) and stir in the bread crumbs. Sprinkle the mixture evenly on top of the sliced cheese.
- Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil and cook for 40-45 minutes; remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes to ensure breading is crispy.
After that, your chicken cordon bleu is ready to serve! I pair mine with my sweet carrots recipe and some green beans for an easy and tasty dinner.