I love a good sandwich – pretty much any kind will do – but the BLT has always been one of my favorites. I bet I ate three hundred of them throughout my undergraduate years of college, where we had a little deli on campus that accepted my meal plan for food. I know, I know…that much bacon is nuts…but hey, I was young and crazy with no PI-IBS yet. I would not trade those days of BLT living.
That being said, I still love a good BLT (although I don’t eat them nearly as often). One of the first things I figured out how to make on the low-FODMAP diet was actually a BLT. They’re quick, easy, and you just can’t beat the taste…what’s not to love? That’s exactly why I decided to share my recipe with you today.
Utensils/appliances you’ll need:
- A microwave-safe plate to cook the bacon
- A small baking sheet for the hoagies
- A cutting board and knife
- A spreading knife
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Two gluten-free hoagie buns (We use Schar Gluten-Free Hoagie Rolls from our local Walmart Neighborhood Market.)
- 6-8 slices of Boar’s Head Naturally Smoked Imported Sliced Bacon (We love, love, love this kind because it’s just plain bacon but tastes phenomenal. Seriously…the best low-FODMAP bacon on the market and completely safe, too. If you’re local, you can find it at Kroger.)
- A large red tomato
- Chosen Foods Keto Mayonnaise, to taste (We use this kind because many other mayonnaise brands have high-FODMAP ingredients; if you use another brand, be on the lookout in the ingredient labels! Also note that this is the same type of mayo I recommended in previous recipes – the name just changed from coconut mayo to Keto mayo.)
- Preheat the oven to the specifications on the Schar hoagies package.
- Place several paper towels on your microwave-safe plate, followed by the bacon and another layer of paper towels over the bacon. Cook to desired crispiness according to package directions.
- While the bacon is cooking, heat the Schar hoagies per the package directions.
- Grab your cutting board and thinly slice the red tomato, keeping in mind that tomato has daily FODMAP limits – don’t go too thick!
- Once the bread and bacon are done, spread a layer of the Chosen Foods Keto mayo over the inside of your sandwich. Then place your bacon, a few spinach leaves, and tomato slices on the bread.
That’s it! You’re ready to serve. I personally like to eat my BLT with a side of french fries or Good Crisp Company Gluten-Free Original Potato Crisps and some natural almonds, but you could do any other low-FODMAP side of your choosing. Enjoy!