As I looked for inspiration for my next recipe, I decided I wanted to make something that could serve a large group if necessary but could also work for just the two of us (since that’s who we cook for most often!). I remembered a dish my sister made a few years back and decided to throw some things together that might replicate the idea of her pasta dish but make it low-FODMAP instead. This is not your average American-style pasta dish – no tomato or cream in the sauce, not loaded with cheese – but my goodness, is it AMAZING! Probably my favorite creation to date, and I’ve had some killer ones. The butter and Feta combo is a bit reminiscent of an alfredo without being heavy, and the lemon adds just enough zing without overpowering the Italian flavors of the dish. Definitely part of our weeknight rotation these days because it’s as quick as it is delicious!
The recipe below makes plenty for two people, so plan accordingly if you need more or less.
Utensils/appliances you’ll need:
Ingredients you’ll need:
- Half a package (8 ounces) of gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 package of peeled and deveined shrimp, uncooked
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup Feta cheese
- Cook and drain the penne using the sauce pan according to the package directions. Set aside.
- While that is cooking, rinse your uncooked shrimp and toss with rosemary, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Heat the garlic oil over medium heat in your skillet. Once shimmering, add the butter until melted; then add the seasoned shrimp. Cook the shrimp for 3-4 minutes on each side (until pink and opaque).
- Stir in the spinach and cover, cooking until the spinach is slightly wilted.
- Stir in the the penne and lemon juice, and then top with Feta cheese. Remove the mixture from heat and let stand, covered, until the Feta softens.
Once the Feta softens, your meal is ready to go! Simply plate it and enjoy.