Oh, spaghetti and meatballs! My all-time favorite meal. And I never thought I’d be able to do them well again after going low-FODMAP. How wrong I was!
This is my variation on a Fody Food Co. spaghetti and meatball recipe, and y’all. It is SO good. This recipe will make enough for four people, or if you’re dining for two, you can refrigerate half the meatballs and heat up some more sauce and pasta for leftovers the next night!
Utensils/appliances you’ll need for this meal:
- One small and one medium-sized sauce pan
- One non-stick baking sheet (or Pam cooking spray if your baking sheet is not nonstick!)
- A medium-sized mixing bowl
- These measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- An oven and a stovetop!
Before starting the meatballs, put water over high heat on the stove in your medium-sized sauce pan, bringing to a rolling boil for your pasta later. Then preheat the oven to 375 degrees and get started with the meatballs.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 1/4 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (We like the Kroger Traditional Gluten-Free bread crumbs because they don’t have high-FODMAP ingredients blended in, like garlic or onion…just watch out for those type of ingredients if you select a different brand.)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- One pound extra-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- One egg
- One teaspoon dried parsley
- Two teaspoons garlic oil (We get this from a local store called Natural State Olive Oil and Spice, but you can also order from Fody Food Co. or Amazon.)
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Combine the gluten-free bread crumbs and warm water in your medium-sized mixing bowl and allow them to sit for 3-5 minutes, until the bread crumbs are moist and softened.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and stir until well-combined. Shape the mixture into one-inch meatballs (you’ll have 25-30 total).
- Put the meatballs in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
The Sauce and the Pasta
Once your meatballs are in the oven, get going on the sauce and pasta.
Ingredients you’ll need:
- 3/4 a jar of Fody Food Co. Tomato and Basil Sauce (double this if you are cooking for four!)
- One tablespoon garlic oil
- Half a package of gluten-free spaghetti (We like the Ronzoni gluten-free spaghetti, but most brands will be fine. Also, prepare the whole box if you are cooking for four!)
- Combine the pasta sauce and garlic oil in your small sauce pan and then simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When you have about twelve minutes remaining on the meatballs, cook your pasta in the boiling water. I typically like mine a little softer, so I cook a minute longer than the recommended al-dente time.
Once everything is finished cooking, simply put the spaghetti and meatballs on a plate and cover with sauce! If you’re feeling extra fancy, add a side salad with low-FODMAP dressing and toppings. And that’s it! You are ready to dive into your delicious Italian meal.
**Like what you’ve read so far? Follow and share IBS Takes Guts for more recipes and tips for living well on the low-FODMAP diet!**
One Reply to “Low-FODMAP Spaghetti and Meatballs”